Labels

Gundam (2) Decal (1) Runner (1) Stickers (1)

April 29, 2010

Runner Problem? Make it NO PROBLEM

A runner is the tiny plastic bit which holds the plastic part. It connects the plastic parts to the frame. Trust me, they sound helpful, but they are a real bitch! The biggest problem with runners is once you've cut the plastic pieces out, it's almost impossible to hide the cut marks. Makes me wonder why Bandai can't produce plastic models without those troublesome runners. My first thought was it is part of their business strategy to sort of 'make' the consumers buy the cutters, knives, files and sandpaper. Still, who knows. Then again, without the runners, building Gundam models would be really boring.

There are a few methods to hide the runner marks after cutting but it is not easy. Most modelers sand paper it down and paint the plastic. Me, I cut them with my plastic cutter, a Tamiya's Modeler's Side Cutter, then carefully and slowly, I mean REALLY slowly, cut it it down to the desired level with a penknife (any penknife will do but some claimed that the knives by Tamiya are thinner and better). Always leave a bit of the runner with the side cutter. The remaining bit should be cut down by a knife instrument. Side cutter don't cut as clean as a knife. I usually get a close to perfect cut but there are times where the plastic turns white. When this happens, I scratch them with my fingernails and they do sort of turn back to their original color. This works sometimes but not all thetime. Kinda like magic.

A pic of the bitchy runners


Cutting the runner with a Tamiya side cutter


After the cut


After cutting it down with a penknife

That's all for now. Okuk onak Dayak.

No comments:

Post a Comment